The History of Silver Springs Baptist Church
Silver Springs can trace its beginnings back to the spring of 1950 when W.B. Woodall, area missionary, and E.V. Watkins held a tent revival in the area. Interest was so good that in the fall of that year a Sunday School was started. Early in 1951, worship services were held.
In 1952 another tent revival was held. It was sponsored by Mt. Juliet’s First Baptist Church and they established the Silver Springs Baptist Mission with J.C. Fuller as pastor. Sunday School continued to be held in a service station on Lebanon Road.
In 1952, Mrs. Alice Smith donated land for a church building and the first structure was built in 1953. The church has had three other major building programs to this date.
On September 25, 1955, Silver Springs was constituted as a Southern Baptist church with 68 charter members. Silver Springs continues to be a Southern Baptist church.
Silver Springs has had 12 different pastors in its history and 15 different staff members. The commitment of the church is to try to understand the needs of this rapidly changing area and to help meet those needs in the name of Jesus Christ.
Having been led, as we believe by the Spirit of God, to receive the Lord Jesus Christ as our Savior, and on the profession of our faith, having been baptized in the name of the Father, of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, we do now, in the presence of God, and this assembly, most solemnly and joyfully enter into covenant with one another as one body in Christ.
We engage, therefore, by the aid of the Holy Spirit, to walk together in Christian love; to strive for the advancement of this church, in knowledge, holiness, and comfort; to promote its prosperity and spirituality; to sustain its worship, ordinances, discipline, and doctrines; to contribute cheerfully and regularly to the support of the ministry, the expenses of the church, the relief of the poor, and the spread of the gospel through all nations.
We also engage to maintain family and secret devotions; to religiously educate our children; to seek the salvation of our kindred and acquaintances; to walk circumspectly in the world; to be just in our dealings, faithful in our engagements, and exemplary in our deportment; to avoid all tattling, backbiting, and excessive anger; to abstain from the sale of, and use of, intoxicating drinks as a beverage; to be zealous in our efforts to advance the Kingdom of our Savior.
We further engage to watch over one another in brotherly love, to remember one another in prayer, to aid one another in sickness and distress, to cultivate Christian sympathy in feeling and Christian courtesy in speech, to be slow to take offense, but always ready for reconciliation and mindful of the rules of our Savior to secure it without delay.
We moreover engage that when we remove from this place we will, as soon as possible, unite with some other church where we can carry out the spirit of this covenant and the principles of God’s Word.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.
For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide we might have hope.